A few days ago I had agreed to bake something for a party but was feeling a little under the weather. Not wanting to make (and inevitable nibble on) something full of sugar for the sake of my immune system, I dug up this recipe I’d been wanting to try for Honey Teacakes.
These delicate little cakes deftly straddle the cupcake/ muffin divide. Served plain, they would make a sophisticated accompaniment to a cup of tea, but slathered with vanilla-bean cream cheese frosting they transform into a luxuriant and unusual cupcake, but still contain no sugar, just delicious anti-bacterial honey. I used clover honey, as it was what I had on hand, but next time I’d use a stronger flavored honey, like wildflower.
Honey Teacakes (makes 10 cupcakes)3/4 cup strong chamomile tea 1/3 cup earth balance sticks (or butter) at room temperature
1/2 cup honey 1/2 Tbs. vanilla extract (use something high quality- the flavor really comes through) 1 1/2 tsp. vegan egg-replacer mixed with 1 Tbs. non-dairy milk 1 1/2 cups flour (I used white whole wheat) 1/2 Tbs. baking powder 1/8 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. cloves
1) Pre-heat the oven to 325°F. Line two muffin tins with 10 cupcakes liners.
2) Boil water and pour over three chamomile teabags to make 3/4 cup. Let steep.
3) Mix water and egg-replacer and set aside.
4) With an electric mixer, cream butter until light. Add honey and vanilla and beat throughly. Add egg-replacer mixture and beat until just combined.
5) Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cloves in a bowl. Mix well.
6) With the mixer running, alternate adding 1/3 of the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the tea (starting and ending with the dry). Mix until just uniform.
7) Distribute batter into the cupcake liners, filling cups no more than 2/3 to 3/4 full.
8 ) Bake about 10 minutes, until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.
Vanilla-Bean Cream Cheese Frosting8 oz. Tofutti brand “Better than Cream Cheese” (or cream cheese)
2 Tbs. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or butter) honey to taste (at least 1/4 cup) vanilla extract to taste (at least 1/2 Tbs. plus seeds scraped from one or more vanilla pods)
1) Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
2) Drizzle in the honey, tasting until you’ve reached the desires sweetness.
3) Add enough vanilla extract and vanilla seeds to achieve a rich vanilla taste and cute speckles.
4) Chill until ready to frost the cupcakes.
Don’t wait till your sick to try these little gems. Enjoy as breakfast/ afternoon snack/ tea time/ dessert today!